Basic Functions: This position leads a team of Manufacturing, Assembly, Project Managers, Purchasing and Production Routing personnel being responsible for planning, scheduling and successful execution of programs. Duties will include leading cross organization and functional teams to deliver programs on time and on budget from post-order set-up and/or mechanical engineering completion to delivery. Responsibilities will also include overseeing the development and maintenance of the capacity planning schedule, coordinating from within the capacity planning department to determine the performance of delivery, future trends and constraints of schedules. Directly manage the Purchasing department, lead material cost savings programs and oversee all outsourcing. Lead a department comprised of master scheduling and process engineering to achieve department goals for this critical function at Coldwater Machine Company. The Operations Manager will own process discipline, documentation and tracking of all programs via Project Managers, including change order management through a regular cadence of meetings and reviews, reporting and program metrics. Oversee and lead the manufacturing and assembly processes with the support of the supervisors and group leaders to ensure quality, efficiency, and one time delivery objectives are met for the Company.
- Will be responsible to act as the liaison between engineering, purchasing and manufacturing to establish streamlined order processing, execute job orders proficiently to optimize plant efficiency and seek to maximize job profitability, deliver projects on-time and achieve an optimal customer satisfaction rating.
- Oversee creating a master schedule using the Company’s ERP system and best practices. The capacity schedule’s purpose is to provide a means to track and manage daily manufacturing workload, provide feedback to engineering or in-house vs subcontracted manufacturing hours, and provide regular reporting on manufacturing status to sales.
- Conduct and participate in program reviews and brief attendees on status of corrective actions, expected recovery dates and recommendations for improved contractual performance. Establish and maintain effective communication between functional and support departments to establish schedules and facilitate problem identification resolutions. Serve as a liaison between customers and management to ensure customer programmatic requirements cost and schedules are maintained.
- Accountable for day-to-day management of major projects and will lead project management team with targeting profitable results and on-time delivery.
- Lead program review sessions with customers to discuss cost, schedule, and technical performance. Maintain close contact with customer organization to ensure the highest possible level of customer satisfaction.
- Ensures creation and maintenance of project and program documentation including design history files, status reports, meeting minutes, project schedules, changes issues, phase-gate / design reviews, project work flow and presentations following internal design control requirements for large-sized cross functional projects.
- Plan and direct all aspects of the organization’s supply chain policies, objectives and initiatives. Oversee the organization’s selection of vendor using sound, progressive, and ethical purchasing policies and procedures to ensure delivery, quality and cost targets are achieved.
- Responsible for defining quote lead times for the Applications Engineering Manager while participating in regular sandbox/capacity review meetings. Review / report on lead times for work centers with plant management, as well as the sales and marketing team.
- Assess whether required parts can be issues from finished good, be manufactured in-house, or sub-contracted to outside vendors
- Coordinate daily with the Manufacturing and Tool Room associates, Process Engineers, Project Managers, purchasing department and the Engineering Manager to sequence projects accordingly.
- Create effective communications within written documents (releases, P.O.’s, Non-conformances, etc.) that clearly and concisely establish project requirements.
- Establish standard metrics to measure effectiveness in your areas of responsibility facilitates status meetings, communication capacity schedule loads and restrictions with required internal departments.
- Lead, coach, and provide guidance to team to execute project plans, manage expectations, and resolve conflicts. Routine clerical duties to support department activities.
- Nothing in this job description restricts Management or Corporate’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration and / or related technical field; and / or equivalent experience in Operations, Supply Chain, and / or Finance.
- Advanced knowledge of a manufacturing process flow from a capacity planning environment.
- 5+ years of experience in a high-mix / low volume manufacturing facility.
- Proven ability to drive root cause analysis on processes and delivery issues.
- Experience with ERP systems and their adaptation to a high-mix / low volume production / services environment.
- Strong analytical and conceptual ability.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient skills in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft Word.
- Strong ability to orchestrate change.
- Problem solving skills, strong analytical, numerical, and reasoning abilities
- Participative management style – advocates a team environment
- Inter-personal skills, well-developed management skills
- Credible and decisive in making decisions and prioritizing
- Results oriented with ability to drive results from objectives
- Organized in planning and prioritizing work
Job Reports to: Senior Operations Manager
Leadership Accountability: High
Supervisory Accountability: High
Financial Accountability: Monitors Expenditures
Customer Accountability: Medium interfaces with customers